Algebra in Action is aligned with recommendations for K–8
mathematics curriculum made by CCSSO, Achieve, and
for implementation of the Common Core State Standards. It is
focused on developing algebraic concepts and skills for grade 8 as well as
serving as a credit recovery or remedial course for high school Algebra I.
Developed specifically for the iPad platform, every feature of Algebra
in Action is designed to engage students in a dynamic learning
experience. Production values far exceed any digital publication on the
market. They include:
• animated video adventures, featuring five teen-age role models,
• more than 100 video instructional segments,
• dozens and dozens of interactive learning opportunities,
• digital manipulatives,
• mathematical games relevant to algebra concepts and skills.
• a specially developed writing/drawing tool to allow students to do work and show their progress without leaving the iPad environment.
• the ability to upload student work to a website where teachers can view and comment, and
• the capability for multiple users, each with an individual password, to share the same iPad.
Dr. Dougherty, the lead author is an internationally recognized professor of mathematics education, the recipient of numerous NSF and IES grants, past member of the NCTM Board of Directors, and a frequent keynoter at national mathematics education conference.